Sunday, July 13, 2008

野外劇

Every year around this period of time, there will be a special event held at the famous pentagon park of Hakodate:野外劇. It is an outdoor stage performance talking about the history of Hakodate, like how a small fishing village attracted the foreigners coming, and transformed into the city today. Of course, they didn’t make it complicated for the audience. It is not a history lesson after all. Last year when I first saw it, though not quite understood what the actors were saying, more or less I got to know the past of Hakodate. I personally was attracted by the real cannon they used, and horses riding in a war scene. It was really a good show.

This year, I was there again, but not sitting at the audience side. Instead, I was one of those on the stage! That’s right; I took part in the play. I volunteered myself to be one of the walker-on in that play. One hour before the play is on anyone who is interested can just walk into the backstage and get him a role to play. Well, being a walker-on doesn’t any practice but just do as ordered. But this is my first time taking part in such an event. Being at that backstage, where one is able to observe every preparation for the show is totally a life time experience! I was thinking about to take some photos there but didn’t do so as it might be disrespect for others. Never mind, at least I got myself taken.


This was the first role I played, an ainu villager.

Then, this was the second role I played, a passer by, wearing a cap with the old hair style of Japanese. Simple? That’s what walker-on is. Yet I was on the stage for most of the show. Well, every scene needs passer by, that’s why. I was wondering whether my play time was more than the main characters or not in the end.
Here are some scenes of the play, taken by my Philippine friend.



In this scene, I was standing behind fence, trying to show the sadness for the tragedy happening in front. May be someday I should try a real acting role.

Dancing the tradisional dance of Japan. Practice? Just follow what others were doing lah!

My Philippine friend really did a good job to spot us. The audience side was actually quite far from the stage. Thanks to his professional cameraman skill though.

Walking and walking, that's all. I was trying to recite some chinese poems, but obviously none of them suit the scene.

Ended with applauses, and some fireworks. A great experience to be part of it. May be someday when I am back to Malaysia, I may go for another walker-on too, to support those who are working hard to keep culture alive in our beloved country.

6 comments:

Joyce said...

Hahaha... Chang yuen you very cute lah. Hahaha.....

Anonymous said...

y there is so much differences between hokkaido and kisarazu??
jealous lah~~

yeah,u were just too kawaii!!

chang yuan said...

joyce & lyk: when i was form 5,i was stated as cute by some small little girls...but now even if i am approaching 21 years old, yet you guys came out with a cute word!? walau!

Anonymous said...

かわいいis one of the words that girls want to be praised~~that proved that we absorbed japanese culture completely!完璧ぞ!

Joyce said...

Lyk: if you say like that means you are saying that chang yuen is a girl worh??? o.0

Chang yuen: Cute is cute lah. Dun worry so much. Me 19yrs old still got ppl say me cute. Nowadays dun have edi lah. Hahaha....maybe i grow up liaw.

eeveehow said...

wow, can't believe that you joined a play! This reminds me of watching chee wai's performance with you last time, haha! Bravo!