Tuesday, May 13, 2008

513

Is this a sensitive, or may be forbidden topic? I can't deny, could you?
What happen if i talked about it? Well, I have to be optimistic afterall. And it certainly depends on what I am going to write here.
Why this topic then? I just want to write something on this day, that's all.

How much do you know about this day then? History on this day, doesn't sound good for me. After checking it with Wikipedia and other sources, I found that many tragedies happened on this day. Of course, everyday, even every moment has something big happened. So, what is so particular about this day, 13th of May?

Being a Malaysian, one can never get rid of 13th May, a tragedy which still haunting us after nearly 40 years. We could still hear people giving us warning not to talk about it, or do anything that may make history repeat. Some said, it is a turning point for our country, for it led to many results of today, including those infamous Acts. Others, think that it is a scar, a burden, for everyone of us. For the historians, it is a puzzling cloud of history. However, there is no doubt, that it is definitely a lesson that each of us shall not forget and must learn not to repeat no matter how.

There was a survey targeted on youngsters made by Sinchew Daily 2 years ago, which brought out questions relating to history of Malaysia. Results shows that many certainly have heard the term of 13th of May before, but couldn't tell the detail about it. Yes, we do learn about it from the history textbook in school, but how much could a few sentences tell? Allow me to press it further: how much truth is written there? Correct me if I were wrong in this. The fact is, there is always an argument between the NGO and the authorities on the statistics and the facts of that tragedy. I myself have heard and read different kind of opinions, yet I couldn't come to a conclusion. Why is it so? Sure there are people who can answer that.


Is there a need to know the truth behind? The answer is clear, I guess. Sure there are voices who suggest that we should not waste our time on searching the truth but just keep reminding ourselves not to repeat what was wrong before. However, I must differ from them. I have no mean to arouse any unnecessary problem here, and not intend to touch on those sensitive issues. All I wish for, is a free space to discuss, a no more sensitive 13th of May, and no more excuse to menace anyone.

But more important, a truth to be revealed. If it was destined to be a burden, at least let the bearers know what are they carrying on their back. I really admire the way the Germans face the history. I hope we can learn their way, though It may come to the other way round. Yet, we have the right to know, as well as the Lingam Tape report. We do not want a blank page in our history for another 40 years or more.

Please, don't forget what happened before, and please, grieve for those who have left us at that very moment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember some words.
history can be forgive but not forget.

Anonymous said...

weijian actually translated it to english!
i wanted to say the phrase but dont know how to say that into english..=="
we might not be able to know the full version,but through our parents,especially those who lived near kl,we could know how serious it was.

Wee Kien said...

It is true that history can't be forgotten, but sometimes i do think if without all these memories of the past, will our country be more united?

Anonymous said...

We shall seek the truth but not hiding it under the carpet.

Anonymous said...

Don't butcher history to create your own 'truths'.
i camee across this article by chance.and i strongly recommend u all to read this article if are free.

http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/82

351

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Victor Lem said...

A defensive blog, have to say I don't really like it, for being too defensive. But I have to admit the fact that I respect you for your perseverance to update your blog. I'd choose to write everything out(not defensively) or not to write anything. I chose the previous :)