Wednesday, January 23, 2008

They are fighting, how about us?

Every time i find that my classmates are not paying attention to the teacher in the class, i couldn't help myself but feel sorry for the teacher. May be it is because my parents are teachers too, my feeling gets more emotional. Well, i can't declare that myself is a good manner student during the class. I do doze off while they are teaching; I do do other things which are not related to the lesson.

But at least, i didn't ignore whatever the teachers said, or make fun of their teaching skills. I do keep myself alert for at least one hour before i couldn't stay with the drowsiness anymore. I respect them, though sometimes i wish some of them can change their teaching styles abit. I greet them, and definitely won't throw my head on the table once the teacher steps into the class.

That day we were asked to attend a lecture, which was about finding job in future. The lecturer is a president of a company from Tokyo. Though the attendance would be taken, there were some absence. Then, just as i was thinking that the lecture might end up with more than half of the students falling asleep, i was wrong then. The lecture actually started with a bunch of students already falling asleep. And then, one by one seemed to be given up their attention to the lecture. I looked at the lecturer, and wondered what was his feeling at that moment? And of course, that doubt includes those teachers who keep on teaching seriously even though the students are not paying attention.

Far from us, a country i guess you cannot get rid of your mind, thanks to the bad news happened there once in a while, has a different story. Afghanistan's girls are fighting to get educated, and better infrastructures for education. It is true that the Taliban was toppled by U.S.-led forces in 2001, and it gives some sort of liberation for Afghanistan's women. Yet, things are not going as well for them. Besides the lacking of infrastructures, the traditions that against women are still shackling them. And not forgetting that the terrorist attacks remain the main threat for everyone.

Even so, the sheer determination of the girls can be clearly seen. "Lida Ahmadyar, 12, whose sister was one of the girls killed in the Logar shooting, has started going back to school. Every day she walks past the spot where her sister died, but she clings to her dream of becoming a doctor. "I am afraid," she says. "But I like school because I am learning something, and that will make me important. With education, I can save my country." If enough of Afghanistan's girls get the chance, they may do just that." - TIME Magazine.

They are fighting for education with their little life, in contrast with us, who have everything ready and well-prepared. Afghanistan is not only one, many countries, especially the African is facing the same problem. I wonder when could be the time for those people to learn this truth, realize and appreciate what they are having. Do take our part to help this world. One man efford may be small, but it may bring changes in the end.


If you want to read more about the Afghanistan story, please follow this link. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1704654,00.html

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once, japanese teacher asked me, ok with class and studies?
So I said, yeah.. learning new things is fun.
then the teacher said, yeah.. fun right?
I wonder.. did my teacher ever listened such answers from his students..

When can they realise this?
Getting sleepy and sleeping, are dfferent.
Tired, so get sleepy.
Ignore, so sleep.
Why they just cant think: oh yes! today I understood how television works!
or, oh yes! I figured this out!
Again.. because they are still kids?
I never remember that I was sleepy during kindergarten time..

Wee Kien said...

Most of the people nowadays don't appreciate with what they have, even me i think. No matter how sleepy i am
when the teacher is teaching, i will try my best to stay alert though i don't listen to his lecture because i think that is the little respect we should give them.However, i think teachers can't blame the students for sleeping in the class all the time. Don't they ever think that there is a problem with their way of teaching? If they find out no one wants to listen to their lecture, do they ever make their efforts to change the way of teaching??Because sometimes maybe students find their way of teaching is so hard to understand.If you can't understand the lecturer, sure will feel very bored and doze off in the end.That is why got some teachers we like and some we don't like.Last time also got heard from 陶晶莹,she skipped the class last time. But why did she skip the class??she said because she doesn't think she can learn something from that teacher, so she went to library to study herself.So, i think the most important is their attitude of learning.

p/s ns29:really respect!!when teacher asks me in the class, im sure wont think of tat answer coz damn boring the class....

Kah Yee 嘉儿 said...

I agree with you in this matter. Me too, have a greater feeling/responce towards this problem cause my parents are teachers as well.Me too, can't prevent from falling asleep in class especially during the peak period when we are rushing our projects. With 2 to 3 hours sleep everyday, how can we prevent from falling asleeep. Furthermore, the lecturer's teaching style and the freezing air-cond. Sorry, I really can't help myself. Be it my excuse or the fact, I do admit it that although it's rude i just can't help myself.

calvin said...

wahhhh, so many deep thoughts in this comment box...

彦霓::yen-nee said...

It is always sad to see such scenes when people do not appreciate with what they have. Thanks for posting such nice piece of work here, cause it reminds people who are lucky like us, to be grateful for everything we have. People toil and struggle to be educated, cause they believe that this is the only way to let ends meet, and the nearest miracle they could ever reach. One man's effort can be powerful, cause we are human beings, with care and love and emotions. Keep moving, cause you are waking somebody like me to see what is really going on in this world.

Anonymous said...

found a interesting article in sinchew.if u have time ,no bad to have a read at it=P
http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/52140?tid=1

lonehunter88 said...

Our friend ah yuan here has made a very good point on the social and ethical scene that is slowly rotting in Japan and also in South East Asia. The fact is that we are enjoying ourselves too much in our mundane lives and have begun to overlook our purposes and goals.

A lot of the teenagers in Japan nowadays, when asked about what they would like to do in the future, they have a difficult time answering. They are merely drifting indefinitely in the social and economical ideals of the times, sometimes forced on them by their parents or guardians.

A lot of us have lost the passion and love of education because we are only learning according to the syllabus, not according to what we want to know and learn deeper about.

In third world countries, there are still a lot of things they have yet to figure out and there seems to be no limits in education, added with the passion and longing to be responsible to the country and society. While in America, it might seem that there are a lot of kids like the Japanese as mentioned, but there are also a lot of outstanding learners because the education system in America is very free and loose, which gives the youngsters time and space to figure out what they really want to do with their lives.

In this subject, it is not good to accuse any one side on the deterioration of education, or more accurately, society because it is the responsibility of the community as a whole.